(1) A person qualifies for nomination as a presidential candidate if the person–
- (a) is a citizen by birth;
- (b) is qualified to stand for election as a member of Parliament;
- (c) is nominated by a political party, or is an independent candidate; and
- (d) is nominated by not fewer than two thousand voters from each of a majority of the counties.
(2) A person is not qualified for nomination as a presidential candidate if the person–
- (a) owes allegiance to a foreign state; or
- (b) is a public officer, or is acting in any State or other public office.
(3) Clause (2) (b) shall not apply to–
- (a) the President;
- (b) the Deputy President; or
- (c) a member of Parliament.