The Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) reviews and sets the salary of the Deputy President in Kenya.
Article 230 (4) (a) of the Constitution of Kenya empowers the SRC to review and set the remuneration and benefits for State Officers at the National and County Levels of Government.
SRC undertakes periodic reviews of the salaries of State officers, including the Deputy President. The Third Remuneration and Benefits Review Cycle that covers Financial Years 2021/2022 to 2024/2025 is the basis for the current salary and benefits for the Deputy President.
Table of ContentsShow/Hide
The salary of the Deputy President in Kenya in the financial year 2023/2024 and 2024/2025 is a gross monthly salary of KES 1,227,188, which consists of a basic salary of KES 736,313, additional allowances in the form of a house allowance of KES 300,000 and an official commuter allowance, and a salary market adjustment of KES 190,875.
The financial year 2023/2024 runs from 1st July 2023 to 30th June 2024 while the financial year 2024/2025 will run from 1st July 2024 to 30th June 2025.
Salary Market Adjustment is a salary modification that considers the positioning of the salary market. That is, to pay at a level that matches the market average salary for a specific job.
The Deputy President is also entitled to additional benefits as follows–
- Official Car - the Deputy President shall be provided with official transport in line with prevailing government transport policy.
- Medical Benefit - an annual medical cover for the Deputy President, their (one) spouse and up to four children below twenty-five years who are fully dependent on the Deputy President, as follows–
- Inpatient: KES 10 million;
- Outpatient: KES 300,000;
- Maternity: KES 150,000;
- Dental: KES 75,000;
- Optical: KES 75,000.
- Retirement Benefit - the Retirement Benefits for Deputy President and Designated State Officers Act, 2015, shall apply. Read more about the Deputy President retirement benefits.
- Group Life Insurance - the Deputy President shall be covered for a value equivalent to three times the annual pensionable emoluments.
- Group Personal Accident - the Deputy President shall be covered for a value equivalent to three times the annual pensionable emoluments and other benefits as eligible under Group Personal Accident cover.
- Daily Subsistence Allowance for local and foreign travels - paid to the Deputy President per the rates reviewed and set by SRC occasionally.
- Airtime - paid at the rate of up to KES 20,000 per month
- Official Residence - The State shall provide the Deputy President with an official dwelling, including with corresponding home amenities and attendants. The official residence shall be a physical building or house owned by the government. The benefit shall not serve as a substitute for cash instead of an official residence..
- Security - provided as advised by the Inspector-General of Police and shall not be commuted to cash.
- Annual Leave Allowance - paid at KES 50,000 per annum. Leave days shall not serve as a substitute for cash.
Any remuneration and benefits not mentioned here are not payable unless subsequently set by SRC.