The Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) reviews and sets the salary of a Deputy County Governor in Kenya.
Article 230 (4) (a) of the Constitution of Kenya empowers the SRC to review and set the remuneration and benefits for State Officers at the National and County Levels of Government.
SRC undertakes periodic reviews of the salaries of State officers, including the Deputy County Governor. The Third Remuneration and Benefits Review Cycle that covers Financial Years 2021/2022 to 2024/2025 is the basis for the current salary and benefits for a Deputy County Governor.
Table of ContentsShow/Hide
The salary of a Deputy County Governor in Kenya in the financial year 2023/2024 is a gross monthly salary of KES 652,742, which consists of a basic salary of KES 391,645, additional allowances in the form of a house allowance of KES 100,000 and an official commuter allowance, and a salary market adjustment of KES 161,097.
The financial year 2023/2024 runs from 1st July 2023 to 30th June 2024.
The salary of a Deputy County Governor in Kenya in the financial year 2024/2025 will be a gross monthly salary of KES 684,233, which will consist of a basic salary of KES 410,540, additional allowances in the form of a house allowance of KES 100,000 and an official commuter allowance, and a salary market adjustment of KES 173,693.
The financial year 2024/2025 will run from 1st July 2024 to 30th June 2025.
Salary Market Adjustment is a salary modification that considers the positioning of the salary market. That is, to pay at a level that matches the market average salary for a specific job.
The Deputy County Governor is also entitled to additional benefits as follows–
- Official Car - an official car of engine capacity not exceeding 3000 cc;
- Medical Benefit - an annual medical cover for the Deputy County Governor, their (one) spouse and up to four children below twenty-five years who are fully dependent on the Deputy County Governor, as follows–
- Inpatient: KES 10 million;
- Outpatient: KES 300,000;
- Maternity: KES 150,000;
- Dental: KES 75,000;
- Optical: KES 75,000.
- Retirement Benefit - two options for retirement benefits, pension or gratuity, as follows–
- a service gratuity equal to 31% of the annual pensionable income for the period of service; or
- where a pension scheme is established for the Deputy County Governor, SRC shall review and set the rate of contribution by the employer to the scheme and any other financial retirement benefits.
Note: For a comparable period, a Deputy County Governor shall not receive both pension and gratuity payments from the same public body.
For purposes of gratuity and pension, the pensionable emolument shall be based on the monthly basic salary as set by SRC.
- Group Life Insurance - a Deputy County Governor shall be covered for a value equivalent to three times the annual pensionable emoluments.
- Group Personal Accident - a Deputy County Governor shall be covered for a value equivalent to three times the annual pensionable emoluments and other benefits as eligible under Group Personal Accident cover.
- Car Loan and Mortgage Benefit - a Deputy County Governor shall receive a car loan of up to KES 6 million and a mortgage of up to KES 30 million.
- the applicable interest rate shall be 3 per cent per annum for the duration of the loan.
- the duration of the scheme shall be a maximum of twenty (20) years for Mortgage schemes and five (5) years for Car Loan.
- the County Treasury shall administer and manage the Car Loan and Mortgage schemes centrally within existing applicable regulations to govern the schemes, and subject to the availability of funds.
- Daily Subsistence Allowance for local and foreign travels - paid to the Deputy County Governor per the rates reviewed and set by SRC occasionally.
- Airtime - paid at the rate of up to KES 15,000.
- Official Residence - The County Government shall provide the Deputy County Governor with an official dwelling, including with corresponding home amenities and attendants. The official residence shall be a physical building or house owned by the government. The benefit shall not serve as a substitute for cash instead of an official residence.
- Security - provided as advised by the Inspector-General of Police and shall not be commuted to cash.
- Annual Leave Allowance - paid at KES 50,000 per annum. Leave days shall not serve as a substitute for cash.
Any remuneration and benefits not mentioned here are not payable unless subsequently set by SRC.