(1) A county assembly consists of–
- (a) members elected by the registered voters of the wards, each ward constituting a single member constituency, on the same day as a general election of Members of Parliament, being the second Tuesday in August, in every fifth year;
- (b) the number of special seat members necessary to ensure that no more than two-thirds of the membership of the assembly are of the same gender;
- (c) the number of members of marginalised groups, including persons with disabilities and the youth, prescribed by an Act of Parliament; and
- (d) the Speaker, who is an ex officio member.
(2) The members contemplated in clause (1) (b) and (c) shall, in each case, be nominated by political parties in proportion to the seats received in that election in that county by each political party under paragraph (a) in accordance with Article 90.
(3) The filling of special seats under clause (1) (b) shall be determined after declaration of elected members from each ward.
(4) A county assembly is elected for a term of five years.