(Article 185(2),186(1) and 187(2))
- Foreign affairs, foreign policy and international trade.
- The use of international waters and water resources.
- Immigration and citizenship.
- The relationship between religion and state.
- Language policy and the promotion of official and local languages.
- National defence and the use of the national defence services.
- Police services, including—
(a) the setting of standards of recruitment, training of police and use of police services;
(b) criminal law; and
(c) correctional services.
- National economic policy and planning.
- Monetary policy, currency, banking (including central banking), the incorporation and regulation of banking, insurance and financial corporations.
- National statistics and data on population, the economy and society generally.
- Intellectual property rights.
- Labour standards.
- Consumer protection, including standards for social security and professional pension plans.
- Education policy, standards, curricula, examinations and the granting of university charters.
- Universities, tertiary educational institutions and other institutions of research and higher learning and primary schools , special education, secondary schools and special education institutions.
- Promotion of sports and sports education.
- Transport and communications, including, in particular–
(a) road traffic;
(b) the construction and operation of national trunk roads;
(c) standards for the construction and maintenance of other roads by counties;
(f) marine navigation;
(g) civil aviation;
(h) space travel;
(i) postal services;
(j) telecommunications; and
(k) radio and television broadcasting.
- National public works.
- Housing policy.
- General principles of land planning and the co-ordination of planning by the counties.
- Protection of the environment and natural resources with a view to establishing a durable and sustainable system of development, including, in particular–
(a) fishing, hunting and gathering;
(b) protection of animals and wildlife;
(c) water protection, securing sufficient residual water, hydraulic engineering and the safety of dams; and
(d) energy policy.
- National referral health facilities.
- Disaster management.
- Ancient and historical monuments of national importance.
- National elections.
- Health policy.
- Agricultural policy.
- Veterinary policy.
- Energy policy including electricity and gas reticulation and energy regulation.
- Capacity building and technical assistance to the counties.
- Public investment.
- National betting, casinos and other forms of gambling.
- Tourism policy and development.