Article 131. Authority of the President
(1) The President–
- (a) is the Head of State and Government;
- (b) exercises the executive authority of the Republic, with the assistance of the Deputy President and Cabinet Secretaries;
- (c) is the Commander-in-Chief of the Kenya Defence Forces;
- (d) is the chairperson of the National Security Council; and
- (e) is a symbol of national unity.
(2) The President shall–
- (a) respect, uphold and safeguard this Constitution;
- (b) safeguard the sovereignty of the Republic;
- (c) promote and enhance the unity of the nation;
- (d) promote respect for the diversity of the people and communities of Kenya; and
- (e) ensure the protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms and the rule of law.
(3) The President shall not hold any other State or public office.