(1) Public land is–
- (a) land which at the effective date was unalienated government land as defined by an Act of Parliament in force at the effective date;
- (b) land lawfully held, used or occupied by any State organ, except any such land that is occupied by the State organ as lessee under a private lease;
- (c) land transferred to the State by way of sale, reversion or surrender;
- (d) land in respect of which no individual or community ownership can be established by any legal process;
- (e) land in respect of which no heir can be identified by any legal process;
- (f) all minerals and mineral oils as defined by law;
- (g) government forests other than forests to which Article 63(2)(d)(i) applies, government game reserves, water catchment areas, national parks, government animal sanctuaries, and specially protected areas;
- (h) all roads and thoroughfares provided for by an Act of Parliament;
- (i) all rivers, lakes and other water bodies as defined by an Act of Parliament;
- (j) the territorial sea, the exclusive economic zone and the sea bed;
- (k) the continental shelf;
- (l) all land between the high and low water marks;
- (m) any land not classified as private or community land under this Constitution; and
- (n) any other land declared to be public land by an Act of Parliament–
- (i) in force at the effective date; or
- (ii) enacted after the effective date.
(2) Public land shall vest in and be held by a county government in trust for the people resident in the county, and shall be administered on their behalf by the National Land Commission, if it is classified under–
- (a) clause (1) (a), (c), (d) or (e); and
- (b) clause (1) (b), other than land held, used or occupied by a national State organ.
(3) Public land classified under clause (1) (f) to (m) shall vest in and be held by the national government in trust for the people of Kenya and shall be administered on their behalf by the National Land Commission.
(4) Public land shall not be disposed of or otherwise used except in terms of an Act of Parliament specifying the nature and terms of that disposal or use.