24. Chief Justice
(1) The Chief Justice in office immediately before the effective date shall, within six months after the effective date, vacate office and may choose either–
- (a) to retire from the judiciary; or
- (b) subject to the process of vetting under section 23, to continue to serve on the Court of Appeal.
(2) A new Chief Justice shall be appointed by the President, subject to the National Accord and Reconciliation Act, and after consultation with the Prime Minister and with the approval of the National Assembly.
(3) Subsection (2) also applies if there are further vacancies in the office of Chief Justice before the first general elections under this Constitution.