Article 97. Membership of the National Assembly
(1) The National Assembly consists of–
- (a) two hundred and ninety members, each elected by the registered voters of single member constituencies;
- (b) forty-seven women, each elected by the registered voters of the counties, each county constituting a single member constituency;
- (c) twelve members nominated by parliamentary political parties according to their proportion of members of the National Assembly in accordance with Article 90, to represent special interests including the youth, persons with disabilities and workers; and
- (d) the Speaker, who is an ex officio member.
(2) Nothing in this Article shall be construed as excluding any person from contesting an election under clause (1) (a).