Article 69. Obligations in Respect of the Environment
(1) The State shall–
- (a) ensure sustainable exploitation, utilisation, management and conservation of the environment and natural resources, and ensure the equitable sharing of the accruing benefits;
- (b) work to achieve and maintain a tree cover of at least ten per cent of the land area of Kenya;
- (c) protect and enhance intellectual property in, and indigenous knowledge of, biodiversity and the genetic resources of the communities;
- (d) encourage public participation in the management, protection and conservation of the environment;
- (e) protect genetic resources and biological diversity;
- (f) establish systems of environmental impact assessment, environmental audit and monitoring of the environment;
- (g) eliminate processes and activities that are likely to endanger the environment; and
- (h) utilise the environment and natural resources for the benefit of the people of Kenya.
(2) Every person has a duty to cooperate with State organs and other persons to protect and conserve the environment and ensure ecologically sustainable development and use of natural resources.