(1) There is established the National Land Commission.
(2) The functions of the National Land Commission are–
- (a) to manage public land on behalf of the national and county governments;
- (b) to recommend a national land policy to the national government;
- (c) to advise the national government on a comprehensive programme for the registration of title in land throughout Kenya;
- (d) to conduct research related to land and the use of natural resources, and make recommendations to appropriate authorities;
- (e) to initiate investigations, on its own initiative or on a complaint, into present or historical land injustices, and recommend appropriate redress;
- (f) to encourage the application of traditional dispute resolution mechanisms in land conflicts;
- (g) to assess tax on land and premiums on immovable property in any area designated by law; and
- (h) to monitor and have oversight responsibilities over land use planning throughout the country.
(3) The National Land Commission may perform any other functions prescribed by national legislation.