(1) There is established the Public Service Commission.
(2) The Public Service Commission consists of a chairperson, a vice chairperson and seven other members appointed by the President with the approval of the National Assembly.
(3) Subject to clause (4), a person is not eligible for appointment as a member of the Commission if the person–
- (a) has, at any time within the preceding five years, held office, or stood for election as–
- (i) a member of Parliament or of a county assembly; or
- (ii) a member of the governing body of a political party; or
- (b) holds any State office;
- (c) is, or has at any time been, a candidate for election as a member of Parliament or of a county assembly; or
- (d) is, or has at any time been, the holder of an office in any political organisation that sponsors or otherwise supports, or has at any time sponsored or otherwise supported, a candidate for election as a member of Parliament or of a county assembly.
(4) Clause (3) (c) and (d) cease to apply to a person after two general elections for Parliament have been held since the person ceased to be such a candidate or office holder.
(5) There shall be a secretary to the Commission.
(6) The secretary–
- (a) is the chief executive of the Commission; and
- (b) shall be appointed by the Commission for a term of five years, and is eligible for re-appointment once.