Article 227. Procurement of Public Goods and Services
(1) When a State organ or any other public entity contracts for goods or services, it shall do so in accordance with a system that is fair, equitable, transparent, competitive and cost- effective.
(2) An Act of Parliament shall prescribe a framework within which policies relating to procurement and asset disposal shall be implemented and may provide for all or any of the following–
- (a) categories of preference in the allocation of contracts;
- (b) the protection or advancement of persons, categories of persons or groups previously disadvantaged by unfair competition or discrimination;
- (c) sanctions against contractors that have not performed according to professionally regulated procedures, contractual agreements or legislation; and
- (d) sanctions against persons who have defaulted on their tax obligations, or have been guilty of corrupt practices or serious violations of fair employment laws and practices.