Article 193. Qualifications for Election as Member of County Assembly
(1) Unless disqualified under clause (2), a person is eligible for election as a member of a county assembly if the person–
- (a) is registered as a voter;
- (b) satisfies any educational, moral and ethical requirements prescribed by this Constitution or an Act of Parliament; and
- (c) is either–
- (i) nominated by a political party; or
- (ii) an independent candidate supported by at least five hundred registered voters in the ward concerned.
(2) A person is disqualified from being elected a member of a county assembly if the person–
- (a) is a State officer or other public officer, other than a member of the county assembly;
- (b) has, at any time within the five years immediately before the date of election, held office as a member of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission;
- (c) has not been a citizen of Kenya for at least the ten years immediately preceding the date of election;
- (d) is of unsound mind;
- (e) is an undischarged bankrupt;
- (f) is serving a sentence of imprisonment of at least six months; or
- (g) has been found, in accordance with any law, to have misused or abused a State office or public office or to have contravened Chapter Six.
(3) A person is not disqualified under clause (2) unless all possibility of appeal or review of the relevant sentence or decision has been exhausted.