(1) All sovereign power belongs to the people of Kenya and shall be exercised only in accordance with this Constitution.
(2) The people may exercise their sovereign power either directly or through their democratically elected representatives.
(3) Sovereign power under this Constitution is delegated to the following State organs, which shall perform their functions in accordance with this Constitution –
- (a) Parliament and the legislative assemblies in the county governments;
- (b) the national executive and the executive structures in thecounty governments; and
- (c) the Judiciary and independent tribunals.
(4) The sovereign power of the people is exercised at –
- (a) the national level; and
- (b) the county level.